“We give thanks to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you, since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and the love which you have for all the saints…” Paul’s prayer for the saints in Colosse while imprisoned in Rome. Paul’s prayer for a church he has never visited praises them for their love and faith for the saints because of the hope from the truth of the gospel. Paul encourages them to continue in their faith which proves legitimate due to its bearing of fruit and increase.
The model prayer for all is found in Colossians 1: 9-12:
- you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in ALL spiritual wisdom and understanding
- so that you will WALK in a manner worthy of the Lord
- to please Him in all respects
- bearing fruit in every good work
- increasing in the knowledge of God
- strengthened with ALL power according to His glorious might for the attaining of all steadfastness and patience
Finally, verses 13 and 14 are words we need to remember and be reminded of regularly. “For He rescued us from the domain of darkness, and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.” That is work that has been done, we need to walk in it.